Thursday 11 January 2007

Infinite capacity for oddness


They say the human mind can't conceive infinity, be it a mathematical, physical or 'spiritual' concept. I tend to agree. Perhaps you disagree, thinking that you understand the concept of infinity. But in my view, it's likely you're imagining the idea of infinity as opposed to the actuality of it.

However, I think I've experienced an 'infinite' universe. But only once, and only for a split second. Before you ask, it wasn't in response to mind altering substances; It was outside the science block in school, when I was thirteen. Though it could have been wind.

The memory of it has remained with me, but I've never been able to recall the actual feeling. Perhaps this is a blessing as it was a dizzy, disorientating experience - both terrifying and wonderful. I'd never be able to get on with real life feeling like that all the damned time. I felt at once connected with the real world and in every part of universe simultaneously. Weird and very odd. I knew it was at the time so, on returning to my reality I took a deep breath, kept my mouth shut and pushed my way past the throngs into the school block.

I've rarely talked about it since. When I have, its usually been under the influence of mind altering substances.

Now, I could have responded to this snapshot epiphany in one of two ways;

1: Take it as evidence of God - evidence that I'd been chosen to feel 'his' omnipotence.

2: Think that it was an oddly enjoyable experience, that may or may not have been infinite and use it to appreciate the inherent beauty that is our universe.

I chose the latter, of course.

Have you had a similar experience(s)? I'd be interested to know.

No comments: