Thursday 31 May 2007

Precursor

Man is the Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion, several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself, and cuts his throat if his theology isn't straight. He has made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to smooth his brothers path to happiness and heaven...The higher animals have no religion. And we are told that they are going to be left out, in the Hereafter. I wonder why? It seems questionable taste.

Mark Twain, "The Lowest Animal"

3 comments:

Rose said...

Thanks for the great quote! I know many creationists would retort that we aren't animals and that animals were put here for our amusement (how selfish!). But we are animals and there's nothing bad about it! :P

jamon said...

A pleasure. The whole essay is full of them. I recommend a read.

I forget sometimes, how daft some people can be. Honestly, I have to pinch myself.

Anonymous said...

gpp3v0zsw

My page - electric toothbrushes