Sunday 12 November 2006

Ubuntu


Ubuntu amazes me. I have it running on my home PC. It's easy to install and use. It comes packed with features and software right out of the box and is free, yes COMPLETELY FREE! For those of you who haven't heard of Ubuntu, Linux or Open Source Software then I encourage you strongly to look into them.

My non technical friends often look blankly at me when I tell them I'm running a linux system at home. It seems to me that for most people computing is synonymous with Microsoft windows. The fact that all of the things that you can do with paid for software (Like windows & office etc) you can also do for free with software written by the open source community.

The altruism that brings people together to create tools like Ubuntu and then to give them away free really lifts my spirits.

More and more people are using the power of the Internet to collaborate, share and generally help their fellow man. I'll be posting many more examples of this generosity I come across daily on the Internet.

No comments: