Tuesday 30 October 2007

Wooo? Meh...

What the hell happened to Halloween?

When I was young, I would have had a small turnip, barely large enough for the candle to carry around the houses. They were so dense that my Dad would have been whittling away at one since mid August.


This year we've bought a pumpkin twice the size of my head. Which works on more than one level I suppose. One quid from Tesco's - that's all it cost. One quids worth of tasteless, pumped up, over fertilised mush.

Easy to cut out though.

Tesco had two and a half aisles full of Halloween regalia - Hats, skeletons, wobbly eyes, brooms, capes & plastic pumpkin buckets for crap. The sexy witch outfit caught my eye.

I bought one.

No I didn't. I thought about it though.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You carved a turnip when you were a kid? Is that what the original jack-o-lanterns were? I can't even think of what a turnip looks like...I'm thinking of a beet, only white...

Anonymous said...

should bought it, darn it!

;)

jamon said...

This is a turnip. Probably was the original lantern veg.

Anonymous said...

yum?

jamon said...

Tis loverly when cooked well - mashed with butter and pepper.

Haggis, neeps & mash is the traditional Scottish dish eaten on Hogmanay. Neeps being the mashed turnip.

Yum indeed.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I think I had to get a pick-up truck just to get one pumpkin this year... http://crazychristianblog.blogspot.com/